Friday 14 January 2022

KRIS AQUINO: WHAT WOULD GOD SAY

 


To write or not to write, that’s the question I’d been dealing with after I got off from over two decades of blood, sweat, and tears in the corporate world. It’s not as existential a question as Hamlet’s “To be or not to be” since I love writing. But, where would I write? The answer: my blog.

Those were my first lines in my ATABAY article “What’s In A Name?” I launched five months ago. After my 15th article “The Interview Question That Almost Denied Our US Visa Applications,” I ran out of compelling personal stories to share with my readers and wondered what I would write about next.

I surfed the internet and found a sample list of hot topics of 2022 popular blogs: food, travel, health and fitness, lifestyle, fashion and beauty, photography, personal, do-it-yourself craft, parenting, music. I am at home with only two: personal and parenting. Sad to say, for personal, as I said, I ran out of stories, and I‘m also no celebrity; for parenting, I lost touch of it decades ago.

My daughter Jan Kristy advised me to go into showbiz tidbits. I sighed. I stressed what matters to me -- my articles are read (liked or disliked) – for they are the finished product of a laborious thinking process. Ultimately, I decided to take the political route because of the looming presidential election, and subsequently published my 16th article: “My Two Cents Worth of View: PH 2022 Election Dynamics.”

In today’s 41st article, I’ll be weighing up Kris Aquino -- not to be a magnet for showbiz chatterers – but looking on her with a fresh perspective wearing a pair of spiritual eyeglasses.

I don’t know Kris personally. Not a showbiz devotee, I know a bit of her only through the pages of books I read like “Impossible Dream: The Marcoses, The Aquinos, And The Unfinished Revolution” by Sandra Burton as excerpted below:

Kris as a Kiddie Messenger of Hope

“In January 1973, in an attempt to rally public opinion outside the Philippines to the plight of the Filipino people, Ninoy [Aquino] began smuggling letters from his [prison] cell to members of the foreign press.

“'There was a mirror on the wall in the visitors’ house,' explains daughter Ballsy [Aquino]. 'He [Ninoy] would go to the bathroom and leave it there. When we would arrive, we would pretend that Kris [the youngest Aquino child] needed to go, and I would take her in and get it.'

“They would insert the thin, folded sheets of paper inside candy wrappers, in the space between the vacuum bottle and the shell of thermos jugs full of juice, or between the layers of gauze in their sanitary napkins.

“One of the letters which Ballsy carried out in a pocketful of wrapped candies in February 1973 was headlined in the Bangkok Post a few days later. Its brutal analysis of the [Marcos] regime was widely quoted elsewhere in the world press. Not long afterward a military officer appeared at the door of the Aquino’s ranch-style home on Times Street in Quezon City, and handed Cory [Aquino] Ninoy’s prison clothes, watch, glasses, and wedding ring, saying only, ‘He won’t need these anymore.’

“For the next forty-one days, no one would tell her where her husband was or whether he was dead or alive.”

Kris as a Seven-Year-Old Activist

“[T]he campaign logo of Lakas ng Bayan, Laban (Fight) for short, was a pair of chained fists. Ninoy’s surrogate campaigners were Cory and seven-year-old Kris, whose slogan  ‘Help My Daddy Come Home’ was so effective that the military, in a perverse attempt to counter it, distributes anonymous handbills depicting a child whose father could never come home, because he had been killed by Ninoy.”

            Kris as a Twelve-Year-Old Aquino “Jedi”: Heir to Ninoy’s Guts

 “The mass began with a reading by the youngest of Ninoy’s children.

“'I am twelve years old and now I will say goodbye to my Dad,' was the way American-educated Kris began. Only a baby when her father was incarcerated, she had passed through much of her childhood seeing him but once or twice a week in prison. More than the others, who had known him earlier as a widely admired free man, she had therefore prized the family’s three 'super happy years in Boston,' highlighted by such new experiences as gathering autumn leaves, shoveling snow, and seeing Return of the Jedi with her father. Referring to Ninoy’s observation that she was the child who most took after him in her desire to be 'surrounded by many people,' she concluded, 'He likes guts. Thanks for all the happiness you have given me.'”

Kris as a Thirteen-Year-Old Trend-Setter

“Not knowing what would appeal, I [Author Burton] had protectively booked tables at the best French and Chinese restaurants along the waterfront. Without telling her [Cory] about the reservations, I suggested two possibilities, then deferred to thirteen-year-old Kris, who was with us. 'Steak and baked potato,' was her unequivocal choice. 'She has become such an American,' groaned Cory about the tastes her youngest daughter had developed during her formative years in exile in Boston…

                         “Kris made fun of her extravagance, and Cory retorted with a list of the brand-              name clothing and accessories for which her style-conscious daughter had begged all            day. It was a typical mother-daughter conversation, in which both seemed to revel.”


Today, Kris is faced with a personal crisis on her present health condition that has been bannered recently: “Kris Aquino ‘far from OK’.” But her words have been unflinching: “For me, weakness could never be an option… I will never surrender.” What would God say about such “weakness”? Apostle Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” answers that question.

“I asked the Lord three times about this [thorn in the flesh]. But He said to me:

“‘My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’

“So then, I will boast most gladly about my weakness, so that the power of Christ may reside in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, with insults, with troubles, with persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)

Weighing up spiritually such “weakness” – as God’s power made perfect – Kris, in her damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t “Queen of All Media” status, ought not to care about what others are saying. One-on-one, she is now dealing with God whose words – from the Bible -- are the only ones that must matter in her thoughts, words, and deeds, by way of her discernment.

Finally, Kris as a Politician

“Kris was the one in whom Ninoy’s political genes were the most apparent. Her nurturing in and around her father’s prison cell had reinforced whatever natural gifts she had inherited. Sensing that her mother was now drifting inexorably into politics, Kris saw no reason why she shouldn’t shoot for the top. 'I would like Mom to be president, so we could live in Malacanang,' she said. Cory reacted in mock horror to her proposal, which she had heard before.

“She [Cory] had a ready answer, which, interestingly enough, did not exclude the presidency, but merely the venue. She would stay in her own house and use the palace only for protocol functions. ‘That’s what Ninoy always said he would do, and that’s what would I do,’ she said. Kris reacted negatively, accusing her mother of being hopelessly old-fashioned. They sparred good-naturedly for a few moments, but Cory concluded the hypothetical discussion on a serious note: ‘I really think Filipinos are ready for someone who would show restraint.'”

Kris, you’re on the right side of history to endorse VP Leni. May God’s power be made perfect in your weakness!



No comments:

Post a Comment

USA, HERE WE COME! BELGIUM, AU REVOIR!

  BELGIUM September 1 Discovering Bruges “This is the last city for us to visit.” Mario’s words carried a sense of anticipation as if urging...