Tuesday 17 January 2023

A HARROWING EXPERIENCE


 

“If a story is in you, it has to come out.” (William Faulkner, Nobel Prize in Literature)

Narrating my experience with my prostatitis in my last two ATABAY articles, I was on my way then to recovery. Let me put a backgrounder in a nutshell for those who haven’t read them. Driving home from the airport, I suddenly couldn’t urinate despite the urge flaring up so many times along the way up until I got home. That very day, I was admitted to the hospital and got a catheter to relieve me from the pain of the massing water in my bladder. The doctor prescribed the following drugs for my medication: Duodart, for men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), once a day for 7 days to reduce my enlarged prostate and improve my urine flow, Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for two weeks to treat any possible infection, and Tramadol for pain relief as needed. After a week my catheter was taken out. Praise the Lord! I could already urinate.

Three days later, a doctor’s prescription glitch popped up: the doctor prescribed only 7 capsules of Duodart. The nurse explained why it’s only 7 capsules for 7 days (vs. antibiotics for 14 days) because she said the doctor would have to give some instruction. Never such instruction did come. Lots of debate in our family chat group took place on the issue: of whether I will continue taking Duodart or not. As a patient, I was then compliant with whatever the family would settle upon because I could already urinate and rid of the catheter – that’s my main concern. A subordinate issue – how to obtain additional Duodart since we needed the doctor’s additional prescription. Asking for such a prescription seemed odd and would beg these questions: Why didn’t the doctor put in his prescription the whole treatment plan of Duodart in the first place? Why only 7 capsules?

The whole issue was so driven to a corner that ultimately, I have no option but to miss taking the Duodart capsule after the day I took its last capsule. The consequence was devastating. Never did we know the following warning:

“Do not stop using Duodart suddenly.” (medical.net) “Stopping suddenly can make your condition worse as your symptoms may return.” (nhs.uk)

Coming forth to what the warning above laid out, late at night of such a day I had missed taking the Duodart, my prostatitis symptoms came back and more intense than my first prostatitis episode. I barely got some sleep the whole night. The next morning, I could not urinate and got a second catheter. Then, the other shoe dropped: the nurse relayed to us the doctor’s phone message: “See you next week!” Just like that.

My wife thought enough is enough. She tried in finding a way to buy Duodart without a doctor’s prescription which she was able to do. Right there and then, I took the Duodart capsule once again and have resumed taking it to reap the benefits of its full treatment which may take 3-6 months to reduce my enlarged prostatitis volume by 50%.

Yesterday my third catheter was taken out. Yes, it’s my third catheter because my second catheter leaked and had to be replaced. All in all, I got three catheters in a row inserted in my manhood in two-week time. How’s that for the record? Yikes!


WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED

I could not urinate. I got the catheter. I would take Duodart for a long-term treatment plan, and antibiotics for two weeks. After a week my catheter was taken out. I could urinate. I would be on my way to recovery. That was in the first week.

WHAT HAPPENED

The doctor’s prescription glitch popped up after a week. I missed taking Duodart and my prostatitis bounced back and got` worse. I got the second catheter which leaked and was replaced.

PERSONAL INSIGHT

The doctor’s prescription was like a booby trap -- for the unwary (unaware of possible danger), rearing its head, wittingly or unwittingly, to be triggered (to continue taking the drug or not) by its unsuspecting victim.

Three potential patients:

One, are patients who religiously abide by doctors’ prescription especially those who have no access to the internet for needed information. By not taking Duodart, prostatitis would worsen. The consequence would be surgery.

Two, patients who have knowledge and resources in accessing the internet for requisite information needed to make a crucial decision. But the family would remain divisive and indecisive. The consequence would be like my second catheter case.

Three, patients who have knowledge and resources in accessing the internet AND a family member (my wife in our case) who doesn’t trust the doctors based on experience and past anecdotal stories. He or she may look and sound belligerent, yet only his or her exceptional kind of character could safeguard a patient from any “scheming” doctor.

TODAY

I am dealing with the stinging-ness and soreness of the after-the-catheter-is-taken-out period which may last for two days. For the expected laceration of my urethra, I have to put up with it for 5 days by looking out for symptoms of possible infection.

I am sharing this personal story so that others may steer clear of similar harrowing experience I went through. Amid this distressing situation, I couldn’t help asking myself this soul-stirring question: Why me, Lord? I’m not that too bad a person to deserve such a harrowing experience. I’ve discerned the profound answer rooted in the Bible:

“Because he himself was tested through what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.” Hebrews 2:18


Head still photo courtesy of pixabaydotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment

USA, HERE WE COME! BELGIUM, AU REVOIR!

  BELGIUM September 1 Discovering Bruges “This is the last city for us to visit.” Mario’s words carried a sense of anticipation as if urging...