Tuesday 9 January 2024

JO KOY GOLDEN GLOBES FLOP: A TALE OF TWO MONOLOGUES


 

“The joke’s on Jo Koy: Golden Globes host delivers a bad gig for the ages” (The Guardian)

“Jo Koy: The tokenistic Golden Globes choice who completely bombed” (The Canberra Times)

“Jo Koy ‘bombs’ Golden Globes monologue as fans rip host as ‘weak’ for blaming writers and throwing them under the bus” (The U.S. Sun)

The banners above speak volumes of Jo Koy’s Golden Globes flop.

Hosting the Golden Globe Awards is a great honor and a daunting challenge. Calling for lots of preparation, skill, and confidence to entertain and impress millions of viewers, as well as celebrities and critics, such a task is neither for the faint-hearted nor the unequipped. Unfortunately, Jo Koy learned this the hard way when he bombed his monologue as the host of the 2024 Golden Globes.

Jo Koy, the 52-year-old Filipino-American – born Joseph Glenn Herbert Sr -- is a talented and successful comedian, but he was not ready for the pressure and the expectations of hosting such a prestigious event. With only two weeks to prepare, he wrote most of the jokes himself.

“When they asked me, it was an immediate yes. I couldn’t believe this was happening – and then I woke up and went, ‘Wait a minute, I have two weeks to write jokes!’” he told Variety. “Actually, I think I had less than two weeks because I didn’t get my writers until five days later. It’s been a crash course in hosting.” Previous hosts have months to prepare.

As expected, neither were his jokes well-researched nor well-written. Appearing nervous on stage, he awkwardly delivered jokes that were either too bland or too offensive.

When his jokes failed to elicit laughter or applause from the audience, he lost his cool and blamed his writers. “Yo, I got the gig ten days ago, you want a perfect monologue?” he yelled. “Yo, shut up! You’re kidding me, right? Slow down. I wrote some of these, and they’re the ones you’re laughing at.”

What’s more, Jo Koy made some cringey remarks about some of the celebrities, like, Taylor Swift. Had he done his homework he could have figured out the fallout, just a few days back, on The New York Times’ questioning Swift’s sexuality. So infuriated were the millions of Swifties that they have gone scorched earth on Times for throwing “ethics out the window.” Jo Koy dissing Swift then rubbing salt into the wound.


An easy mark is Barbie. “Barbie is on a plastic doll with big boobies, Jo Koy quipped. “I watched Barbie I loved it. I really did love it. I don’t want you guys to think that I’m a creep but it was kind of weird being attracted to a plastic doll… The key moment in Barbie is when she goes from perfect Beauty to bad breath cellulite and flat feet.” Right-wingers accused Barbie of being an “anti-male” movie. Thus, Jo Koy's joke added fuel to the raging “woke” fire.

Most of us could relate to Jo Koy’s sad experience. Who hadn’t taken a school exam that went awry? Imagine this. We had to take a final exam for a subject – the lectures we hadn’t attended, the readings we hadn’t done, and the assignments we hadn’t submitted. We had procrastinated and crammed the night before the exam, hoping that we could somehow pass the subject. We were wrong.

The exam was very difficult. We were clueless and panicked. We wanted to give up and walk out of the room. We wished that we had prepared better, worked hard, and sought help.

Jo Koy could have sought help, not just from human writers, but in the age of AI, ChatGPT, Bing, Bard, or any language model. With two weeks, Jo Koy had the luxury of time.



In collaboration with ChatGPT, I conjured up a mental picture of rewinding a bit the time and put together a remodeled monologue which might have saved the day for Jo Koy:

REMODELED MONOLOGUE

Welcome to the 81st Golden Globe Awards, live from the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. I’m your host, Jo Koy, and I’m so honored and excited to be here tonight. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for choosing me to host this prestigious event. I know you’ve been through a lot of changes and challenges in the past few years, but I’m glad you finally decided to embrace diversity and inclusion. And by that, I mean hiring a Filipino-American comedian who has no experience in hosting anything, let alone a major awards show. Seriously, what were you thinking? Did you run out of options? Did you lose a bet? Did you think I was Manny Pacquiao? Well, whatever the reason, I’m here, and I’m ready to make history. Or at least, make you laugh.

But before we start, I want to acknowledge the amazing nominees and winners we have tonight. You are the reason we are here, and you deserve all the recognition and applause for your incredible work. You have entertained, inspired, and moved us with your stories, your performances, and your talents. You have also made us forget, for a moment, the troubles and hardships we faced in the past year. The pandemic, the politics, the climate change, the social unrest, the cyberattacks, the UFO massive landfall, the AI takeover of humanity… Okay, delete the last two, but you get the point. You have given us hope and joy, and we thank you.

But enough with the serious stuff, let’s have some fun. We will have some surprises, some jokes, and some musical numbers. Nah, I’m not going to sing. I’m just going to act like a… well, like a Filipino. And if you don’t know what that means, you’ll find out soon enough. It means I can eat rice with anything, even with rice. I season my food with salt, pepper, and soy sauce without tasting it first. I take a leak in an open area and say “Tabi-tabi po!” to ward off spirits that might dwell right on the spot and gobble up my joystick. Better safe than sorry.

 


So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. And remember, this is all in good fun. Because I’m here to make you laugh, not to make you angry, and to make you smile like Taylor Swift here. Because she is a brilliant artist, a generous philanthropist, and a role model for millions of fans, she doesn’t deserve to be speculated by the media for her personal life, her sexuality, or her choices. I’m here to back her up. Jo Koy knows how to treat a lady. And Travis, chill, I’m not eyeing your babe. I’m just a joker, you’re a baller.

Let me tell you that the minute I signed the hosting contract, I thought right away of Woody Allen’s 101 tip. I went into an hour of speed-reading lesson. Then, I locked myself in a room and read an Oppenheimer thick book in one hour flat. Right there and then, I got to the bottom of the movie: it’s about a bomb. Period. A piece of cake.

Oppenheimer and Barbie are competing for cinematic box office achievement. Speaking of brain-power competition, here are five mind-bending questions to test what’s between your ears. Ready? Please try to answer them in your mind. And no sharing of answers, please. What do you call a Barbie who is a lawyer?  A sue-perstar. How do you make a Barbie doll laugh? Tickle her plastic. Why did Ken break up with Barbie? Because he found out she was made in China. What do you get when you cross a Barbie and a vampire? A doll that sucks. Finally, a state-of-the-art question. Why did Barbie go to the doctor? Because she had a plastic surgery.

How did you score, Mr. De Niro? I just want to say to our viewers this one thing. The story I wrote about Mr. De Niro was edited and cut out, and I didn’t know about it. And I want to read it on my phone. This is a scoop.

One day, Mr. De Niro was walking down the street in New York, when he saw a group of tourists taking pictures of a building. He approached them and asked what they were doing. They told them that they were fans of his movies and that they were visiting the location where he filmed Taxi Driver. De Niro smiled and said that he was glad to meet them. He offered to take a picture with them and they happily agreed. He took their camera, then said, “You talkin’ to me?” All of a sudden, he ran away with their camera. The man was a neighborhood con artist who happened to look like Mr. De Niro. You talkin’ to me, Mr. De Niro? I’m not the only one here.

We also have here Meryl Streep. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Meryl. Meryl who? Meryl back in a minute, I forgot my three Oscars, eight Golden Globes, three Emmys, two BAFTAs, and seven Grammy nominations. And a partridge in a pear tree.

You talkin’ to me Mr. De Niro? Could you knock all those trophies out?

When I was a kid, my mom used to make me watch the Golden Globes with her every year. She loved seeing all the celebrities and the glamorous outfits. She would always tell me, “Joey, one day you’re going to be on that stage, and you’re going to make me proud." Well, Mom, I hope you’re watching tonight because I finally nailed it. And I hope you’re proud of me, Mom because I’m wearing the watch you bought me as a graduation gift in High School. Though it can no longer tell me the time when to pull the plug on this show.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Golden Globes, and I’m Jo Koy. Let’s get this party fired up.


Content put together in collaboration with Bing Microsoft AI-powered Co-pilot

Head photo courtesy of YouTube

Video clips courtesy of YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

USA, HERE WE COME! BELGIUM, AU REVOIR!

  BELGIUM September 1 Discovering Bruges “This is the last city for us to visit.” Mario’s words carried a sense of anticipation as if urging...